Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Hackers - 1; Publetariat - 0. We All Lose.

I will write a more in-depth follow-up as soon as I can calm down enough to do so, but for now, I'll just reprint what's supposed to be displaying for anyone who visits Publetariat.com right now. It isn't displaying as I write this, because the site is so trashed that nothing works there anymore.
-------------------------

As regular site visitors already know, Publetariat has been repeatedly targeted by hackers over the past few months. The most recent of these attacks occurred on 4/16/13, and has broken the site in numerous ways.

As a totally non-profit, volunteer-staffed site, Publetariat lacks the resources and staffing to keep recovering from these malicious attacks. The site is currently not accessible or properly functional, though its content is still contained in the site's database. But even if I can rebuild the site, it seems likely that another malicious attack will bring it down in a matter of weeks. For that reason, I'm trying to decide if it's even worth the effort to try. I hate to let the hackers win, but I also can't make a career out of fighting them.

It's devastating to see something I've poured my heart and soul into being destroyed like this. Still, I'm glad Publetariat played its part in the indie author revolution, and has helped so many of you.

Anyone who's very knowledgeable in Drupal and can volunteer to work on fixing the site, or migrating it from Drupal to Wordpress: please email me at indieauthor@gmail.com.

Sincerely, And Sadly,

April L. Hamilton
Publetariat Founder / Editor in Chief

1 comment:

Kevin Moriarity said...

I'm sorry to hear this. I read Publetariat every day and repost a lot of your posts. Why you? I assume you've talked to Host Gator (I think that's your hoster...). They can do nothing? I know a bit about WordPress, but converting such a large site from Drupal seems way over my head - wish I could help. You've done good work - sorry it is derailed (hopefully temporarily) like this.